A Payment Link is a link tied to a particular client and optionally a matter. The link is of a designated amount, which the client pays down in full or partially. Payments on a payment link can be deposited into any of the firm's bank accounts or split between multiple bank accounts.
This article outlines the process of creating and processing a payment on a Payment Link.
Creating a Payment Link
1. Navigate to Payments - Payment Links and click New Payment Link.
2. Enter the amount you would like deposited into the operating account. If you have multiple operating accounts connected to your Gravity Legal account, you will be prompted to select an account from the dropdown menu provided. If you wish to process only into the trust account, skip directly to the next step.
3. Enter the amount you would like deposited into the trust account. If you do not have a trust account connected to your Gravity Legal account, you will not see this option. If you have multiple trust accounts connected to your Gravity Legal account, you will be prompted to select an account from the dropdown menu provided.
Note: If you would like portions of the client's payment to be deposited into your trust and your operating accounts, you may select both a trust and operating amount. In this case, when the client pays, the operating amount will be deposited into the operating account and the trust amount will be deposited into the trust account. The client will see two transactions on their card or bank account.
4. Once you have entered an operating amount, a trust amount or both an operating and trust amount, select the client and optionally the matter to associate with this link.
5. Next, if you have more than one payment method setup, such as credit, debit and bank transfers (ACH), you will have the opportunity to turn any of these methods on or off, giving or removing the ability for the client to pay using this method on the link. You must have at least one payment method selected. To change the default setting, navigate to Settings - Firm Details.
6. If surcharging is enabled on your account, you will have the ability to turn on or off the surcharge for this link. To change the default setting, navigate to Settings - Firm Details.
7. Click Create Payment Link.
Paying a Payment Link
1. Once the payment link is created, you will have the ability to copy the link or click the highlighted link to navigate directly to the payment page. You can also copy a payment button, which copies the code necessary to add the button to an email.
2. When you or the client clicks on the link, a payment can be processed by typing in the necessary information. The first step is to pay the total amount of the link or select a lesser amount. The payer cannot pay more than the link amount.
3. If multiple payment methods are set up and active on this link, the payer will be prompted to select the payment method. Depending on the payment method selected, the payer will be prompted to enter card or bank account information.
Note: If surcharging is enabled, and the payer enters a credit card number, a notice will be shown with the surcharge amount and a new total.
4. Once the payment is complete, a screen will appear showing the successful transaction amount, and an email receipt will be sent to the payer as well as any recipient email address added in Settings - Firm Details under Payment Notifications.
Note: If surcharging is enabled, the surcharge will always be added to the operating amount, even if that surcharge was a result of amounts due on the trust account. If the link has no operating amount designated, the payment will be split, and the surcharge amount will be processed as a separate transaction. All surcharges are deposited into the operating account before being removed with the monthly processing fee debit.